Below is an explanation of the Conservation Status of Birds, in order from extinct to least concern.
- Extinct (EX) – No known birds of this species remaining.
- Extinct in the wild (EW) – Known only to survive in captivity, or as a naturalized population outside its historic range.
- Critically endangered (CR) – There is an extremely high risk the bird will become extinct.
- Endangered (EN) – High risk of extinction in the wild.
- Vulnerable (VU) – There is a high risk the bird will become endangered in the wild.
- Near threatened (NT) – This species is likely to become endangered in the near future.
- Least concern (LC) – Lowest risk. The bird is widespread and abundant.